Thursday 26 November 2015

ARC REVIEW: THIS IS WHERE IT ENDS by Marieke Nijkamp

Summary:
10:00 a.m.
The principal of Opportunity, Alabama's high school finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.

10:02 a.m.
The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.

10:03
The auditorium doors won't open.

10:05
Someone starts shooting.

Told over the span of 54 harrowing minutes from four different perspectives, terror reigns as one student's calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival.


Title: THIS IS WHERE IT ENDS
Author: Marieke Nijkamp
Source: eARC via the Publisher
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication Date: January 5, 2016
Rating: 4/5 stars
Purchase:
Amazon | Chapters | TBD
I don't even know what to say right now. I'm an empty shell of a person after finishing that one. I don't know if I can put into words how great this book is; it was beautiful and heartbreaking. A definite recommended read.
One thing is that though we are thrown into the action almost immediately, I found that it took me until the very end to actually care about the characters and whether they lived or died. I found that I could relate to each of them but not one of them wholly so maybe that was the issue. I also feel like because I figured out who would die and sort of when that I didn't find it too suspenseful. I think there was something missing from the drama aspect of it for me. Maybe if one of the "main" povs had died early on I would have been more connected to what was happening and cared more. But it seemed pretty obvious that they were at least going to last until after 80% of the novel.

Unlike some of the other reviews I've seen online, I was actually a fan of how the flashbacks were woven into the story. I thought some of them were unnecessary but I liked having that little tidbit of information given while the character is trying to work something out for themselves about the current situation.

It was an emotional and draining book for me but I feel like a better person for having read it. I think this is going to be one to watch next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment